Constant 'Nonsense' about RR documentation

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Nov 27 17:52:29 EST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 5:47 PM, jbv wrote:

> Ok that's fine... but still I'm wondering : what (if anything) makes
> Transcript different from other languages (beside its "almost" plain
> english syntax ?
> Doesn't it feature variables, loops, if-then-else structures, arrays,
> functions, etc. just like so many other languages ?

Speaking as a beginner & ignoramus, but one who's used other
languages for a variety of grow-your-own projects for many years, I'd
say it really *is* different, and the superficial similarities (the
kinds function calls and if-clauses any language, right down to ASM,
needs) are misleading.

It's the message path that dominates everything, I think. When you
keep it in mind you tend to make right decisions about design, large
and small. When you forget about it, you don't just do inefficient
work, you paint yourself into deeply bafflling corners.

Charles Hartman