[OT] Handling Returned Virus Mail

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sun Nov 27 15:42:42 EST 2005

scott,

one thing that has stemmed the tide for me is to start putting your
email address on all your web posts as a java encoded text (there are
several schemes out there to do this) instead of straight html. while
this wont get rid of things immediately, it has slowed the tide a lot
for me and many clients over the last couple of years since i started
doing it. spam lists are constantly being generated by spiders all the
time looking for emails in html, so it does help prevent you getting on
new ones. im sure there are some spammers out there that are now using
bots to run the java scripts to see if they get any email addresses
back, but thats not as easy.

its never ending war... you might also try and forward your email over
to a hosting account that has a spam filter on it. I use lunarpages for
several clients and their spam filter has been great at catching stuff
w/o any nailing any good emails as far as we can tell right now.

DO NOT rely on your ISP for filtering. Two clients just got burned by
this big time. One had all the forwarded emails that came from his web
domain to his private email at his isp (he wanted it all in one mail
box) get bounced by his ISP when the isp changed their spam filter a
few weeks ago w/o notice. it now thought that ll the forwarded emails
were spams! He is now picking these up directly from the hosting
account and the spam filter there is working brilliantly, whereas the
isp's never did work well.

The other client used Yahoo as her primary client since she needed to
access it from web browsers a lot and she preferred that web client
over the hosting companies one. Well a couple of weeks Yahoo changed
its spam filters and it started sending all sorts of her ISP
(sbcglobal, in bed w/yahoo), yahoo and forwarded domain name emails
into the spam. it was very strange what it was thinking was spam and
what was not. some lists went in while others only had half of them go
to spam. all paypal email went into the spam pile good or bad. It was
awful and we didnt figure it out for a week since it was only a partial
hit and a bit intermittent and she was very busy and not paying close
attention. All this happened with no notification in both cases and
really hurt their businesses.

The funniest (well sort of sad), though, was the early days of
earthlink spam filtering. i was having some good emails all of a sudden
go into the spam pile. i called tech support to see what was up and
they said they had just changed the filtering and i should have
received a notification about it (which i never received) and to watch
to see if there was a problem. Wanna guess where the notification email
was? in the spam pile!

oh yes and even clients cgi mailscripts are being hit by bots
intermittently filling them up with garbage.

I just want to go downtown and scream at some of the reps here (i live
in the dc area) for overriding the state spam laws that were coming on
line with a worthless federal law. Virginia was about to institute a
law that would have pretty much strung spammers they could get their
hands on up by their thumbs! the official line was that the various
state laws would be a restraint on interstate trade and hard to
enforce! yeah right!

sorry [rant] off, i feel for ya scott, many megabytes of spam are
circling my trash bin all the time...

Jeffrey Reynolds

On Nov 27, 2005, at 6:20 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com