Constant 'Nonsense' about RR documentation

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sun Nov 27 12:44:30 EST 2005

Richmond,

While I agree with your sentiment (I learned programming the same
way, though a few years earlier), I don't see Transcript
documentation as something to compare to other languages from the
point of view of whose documentation is the worst.

I see what the documentation could be --as a competitive advantage to
other languages by lowering the barrier to entry and mastery.
Transcript is different enough from other popular languages, uses
different terms and metaphors, and is so rich and complex in its
capabilities that it takes understanding beyond the deceptively
simple surface to get an idea of what one can really accomplish with
it.  Spend a year monitoring this list and you start to get the sense
of it.  However, as you pointed out, rather than just getting you
feet wet, there is nothing like diving in and thrashing about a good
while to figure it out.  I am of that school of thought also.

However, I also know how frustrating it can be when stuff does not
work the way you thought, or you don't even know how to ask the
questions about what you want to accomplish.  I continue to be amazed
at the questions from newbies on this list.  Most of the time I can't
even figure out what they are asking,  then along comes three answers
from the ranks of experience that understand what the person was
really asking in spite of what they said.

That was my dilemma about the documentation --how to provide an
answer when the person does not even know how to ask the question.
That is why I keep poking at the concept of documentation that can be
indexed into by an outline from general to specific topics with more
than one path to the specific information --and I am not talking
about just the standard docs, but the wisdom of this list also.

Dennis