[OT] Handling Returned Virus Mail

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Nov 27 05:02:59 EST 2005

Recently,Jerry Muelver wrote:

>> Over the last week I've been inundated (yet again) with a tidal wave of
>> bounced virus email messages.  Of course I did not initiate any of the
>> original messages -- I'm receiving the bounced attempts and server notices
>> as a result of virus propagation.
>> Any suggestions on how to combat this problem?
>
> Just set your filter to intercept any "returned" emails, and delete them
> from the server without downloading. If you aren't sending them out in the
> first place, why would you want to read the bogus bounce notices anyway?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't own the server (it's a commercial ISP)
and I don't initially see any option specifically for filtering returned
mail, but this is a good idea.  Unfortunately, I still need to deal with
general notices claiming "Mail could not be delivered because XYZ...".

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design