[OT] Handling Returned Virus Mail

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Nov 26 21:48:24 EST 2005

Sorry to put this OT subject on the list but I'm hoping to solicit some of
the more knowledgeable minds out there...

Over the last week I've been inundated (yet again) with a tidal wave of
bounced virus email messages.  Of course I did not initiate any of the
original messages -- I'm receiving the bounced attempts and server notices
as a result of virus propagation.

My ISP has spam filters and virus blocking which is fine for general
incoming email, and I use client-side filters as well, but the problem is
having to deal with messages that are being returned to me because viruses
messages are spoofing my domain.

I've written about 2 dozen rules on my end (Entourage) to weed out the bogus
email but with a recent outbreak I've received almost 7,000 messages in just
the last week.  These bounced messages are clogging my server and I need to
stay on email duty daily to clear them out.

Any suggestions on how to combat this problem?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design