Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Nov 26 17:35:56 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:

> But, as with others who have offered this viewpoint, I am compelled
> to ask you to provide even one example of a development tool company
> following the strategy you describe below that you say is "being used
> by the most successful companies today."
>
> And I'll expand on that a bit. Not only can I not think of a single
> *development tool* company following the strategy of trying to serve
> two markets with a single product, I can't even come up with a single
> successful software company doing that.

I think I'd count Adobe - Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

I think they're both variants of the same basic product - you might even
want to call Elements a "cut-down, crippled version of Photoshop" - but
it seems to me like they are basically the same product / same code base.

> So where are these software companies that are following this two-
> market strategy successfully? To the contrary, I think the secret to
> a successful company -- in any sphere -- is focus. Do what you do
> well and let others do the stuff you don't do well. If RunRev had a
> couple hundred people, *maybe* they could figure out how to serve
> both markets with great success. Short of that, I am unconvinced.

If they could figure this out, maybe they *could* have a couple of
hundred people :-)