Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 26 16:33:11 EST 2005

David Bovill wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2005, at 22:18, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> David Bovill wrote:
>>
>>>     1) Lack of the large number of professional grade commercial
>>> plugins or open source libraries available compared to other
>>> platforms (this seems to be changing slowly).
>>

>> They're out there, just poorly cataloged.  RunRev currently only
>> lists components they resell, and the DMOZ index contains only a
>> slender subset of what's available:
>> <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Transcript/>
>

> But nothing even close to what you get if you compare it to Java
> (largely due to the careful open source strategy), and dare I say
> Director?

Maye having million-dollar marketing budgets helped. ;)

As for Director, while there are a great many components there is no
longer a single third-party source for them.  Gray Matter used to be
that source, but they closed their doors many years ago, and today only
Macromedia themselves can afford to be the central repository.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal