Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Nov 26 15:24:16 EST 2005

Dennis....

A well-thought-out and appreciated post.

But, as with others who have offered this viewpoint, I am compelled
to ask you to provide even one example of a development tool company
following the strategy you describe below that you say is "being used
by the most successful companies today."

And I'll expand on that a bit. Not only can I not think of a single
*development tool* company following the strategy of trying to serve
two markets with a single product, I can't even come up with a single
successful software company doing that. When I think of successful
software companies in the desktop universe, I think of:

Microsoft
Adobe
Macromedia (about to be swallowed by Adobe if that hasn't been
finalized yet)
Apple (partly)
Real
Maybe Oracle (which is a dev tools vendor in large part, but not much
on the desktop)

Adobe doesn't have a low-cost entry version of Acrobat or inDesign. A
trial version, yes, but when it expires you pay through the nose to
keep using it. Same with Macromedia. Apple supports low- and high-end
users in a couple of its strategic markets, but with two separate
products, not a low-cost version of the high-priced one. Real has a
free player but if you want to start creating Real media streams
you're gonna pay a bundle.

So where are these software companies that are following this two-
market strategy successfully? To the contrary, I think the secret to
a successful company -- in any sphere -- is focus. Do what you do
well and let others do the stuff you don't do well. If RunRev had a
couple hundred people, *maybe* they could figure out how to serve
both markets with great success. Short of that, I am unconvinced.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html