Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Nov 25 18:24:53 EST 2005

Maybe one of the most interesting things about Rev/MC is the way that
it  can be seen as both a useful application in its own right , and a
development environment.

I jumped on Hypercard as soon as I got my first Mac (1990, a Mac
Classic), and a great deal of what I did with it (and still do with
Rev) was what other people might have done with spreadsheets and
single-user databases etc.

For instance, I've always rolled my own accounts stacks that work the
way that I think of my business (such as it is), no double-entry
stuff which I still don't understand, just money in, money out, print
an invoice, keep track of what I spend etc. and at any time I can get
a picture of where I stand in a form that makes sense to me. (As a
self-employed musician, I pay an accountant to do the real accounts
and tax returns etc).

It seems to me that anyone who can get reasonably complicated
spreadsheets together is capable of using Rev to do useful work.

Along the way, I've developed a great enthusiasm for computer
programming, and have learnt quite a lot of stuff about a wide
variety of subjects through finding little programming projects.
Currently investigating gambling strategies (as a self-employed
musician, it'd be nice to find something steady <g>)

But I certainly can't deny  that it's taken me 10+ years to get to
the point where I'm making relatively complicated apps that actually
work. And even then, they're not close to being shippable, sellable
commercial software, but then that's never been my aim.

Mark