This is what REALLY SUCKS about whingeing

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 24 15:44:22 EST 2005

>David -
>
>Your thread was off to a productive start, and then you derailed it
>with a random rant that benefits neither the good people on this
>list or yourself.  We all need to write a good ranting email now and
>then; the trick is to remove the "to" address so you can't send it.
>;)

lol my out box is full of RunRev rants all with empty "to" fields!
This time was just the straw that broke.............

>Back to the problem at hand, have you noticed that a lot of people
>here ship a lot of apps, and nearly all of those apps have menubars?
>
>That should have been the first clue that the menu mechanism works.

Yes, I know it *should* work, but so much of RunRev is haphazzard and
seems to work but then something happens and it just stops working!
The times just quttting the IDE and reloading fixes problems, or
copying an object to a another stack, deleting it in the first stack
and then pasting it back seems to clear problems.

>With that now understood, the next step is to identify differences
>between working and non-working states.
>
>I could find no post in which you listed your menu items.  That may
>be relevant.

It's the edit menu and the items are the same as when you hit Auto-Script, e.g.

Cut
Copy
Paste
Clear
------------
Preferences (either eith a ... or without)

>It may also be worth checking the layer order of the buttons in the
>menu group.  If you added one later it can throw off the layer
>order, and while Rev shows menus for 95% of the computing audience
>in a direct WYSIWYG way, Mac menus are a strange beast that must go
>through a separate mechanism to be drawn, and ae drawn in the order
>in which they appear in the menu group.

Yes, I read about that and have ensured I have the correct order.

>Also, do you have any scripts that modify the contents of your menu items?

No, although I do enable/disable menu items and this seems to work
fine on the edit menu, but the preferences entry does not get moved
to the Applications menu.

>If you build a simple set of menus from scratch in a fresh stack do
>you see the same problem?

If I do that, it works.

>I've been unable to reproduce your circumstance, so while it doesn't
>lead us closer to understanding the root cause it does suggest that
>it's not only fully possible to what you want, it's also easy.  It
>took me only a minute to hand-build a menu bar in a fresh stack to
>try to reproduce your problem.
>
>Hang in there.  As you say, you have a deadline. If you use what
>little time you have productively this can be solved.

The only way I could find to fix it was to delete the original Menu
Group, create a new one, and then paste the scripts back into it. I
then had a problem whereby the Menu appeared across the top of the
stack window (ala Windows OS). After fishing around for ages I found
that in the "Place Group" there was a group that was no where in any
stack and had a weird name (something like fgttryiolk). I selected it
(e.g. placed it) and it appeared in my stack. I then deleted from the
stack, saved the stack, quit RunRev and restarted and then it
worked!!!!!

Definitely a bug somewhere along the line. Just wish these stupid
bugs would be fixed, I will have to stay up til midnight at least
now, but at least the rest of it should go ok.

Thanks a lot for your support, I won't say sorry for the Rant,
because sometimes I think it's better to "tell it like it is"!
However, it was a good natured rant really and I do think RunRev is a
fantastic beast, but really we need to able to build a menubar in
less than a day!!!!!

All the Best
Dave