OT Last week's CarTalk puzzler

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Nov 24 14:48:41 EST 2005

I absolutely promise not to post on this topic any more. But having
said something stupid I have to take it back, which requires posting,
& trying to avoid saying something stupid . . . I think this is
called karma.

What I neatly demonstrated had nothing much to do with the problem,
because I was counting prime factors.

For a proof that the Ray Theorem is true, I refer anyone interested
to a friend & colleague who's a mathematician and whom I should have
asked before I posted anything, and who wrote as shown below.

Charles, shutting up

================= snip =============

Anyway, hereÕs an argument. Consider the positive integer n > 1.
There are two cases to
consider.

1. Suppose Ãn is not an integer. (Then, of course, Ãn is not even
rational but that is
another story.) Now n has at least one factor that is smaller than
Ãn, namely, 1. And,
clearly, for each distinct factor of n smaller than Ãn, there is a
distinct factor of n larger
than Ãn such that their product is n. Thus, if n is not a perfect
square, n must have an
even number of distinct factors.

2. Suppose Ãn is an integer, i.e., n is a perfect square. Then
arguing as above, for each
distinct factor of n smaller than Ãn, there is a distinct factor of n
larger than Ãn such
that their product is n. Therefore, other than the factor Ãn itself,
n has an even number
of distinct factors. But, Ãn, in this case, is also a factor on n.
Therefore, if n is a perfect
square, n must have an odd number of distinct factors.

This proves that a positive integer n has an odd number of distinct
factors if and only if
n is odd.

Now, since 1412 = 19881 and 1422 = 20164, there must be exactly 141
lights that are left