This is what REALLY SUCKS about whingeing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 24 14:25:01 EST 2005

David -

Your thread was off to a productive start, and then you derailed it with
a random rant that benefits neither the good people on this list or
yourself.  We all need to write a good ranting email now and then; the
trick is to remove the "to" address so you can't send it. ;)

Back to the problem at hand, have you noticed that a lot of people here
ship a lot of apps, and nearly all of those apps have menubars?

That should have been the first clue that the menu mechanism works.

With that now understood, the next step is to identify differences
between working and non-working states.

I could find no post in which you listed your menu items.  That may be
relevant.

It may also be worth checking the layer order of the buttons in the menu
group.  If you added one later it can throw off the layer order, and
while Rev shows menus for 95% of the computing audience in a direct
WYSIWYG way, Mac menus are a strange beast that must go through a
separate mechanism to be drawn, and ae drawn in the order in which they
appear in the menu group.

Also, do you have any scripts that modify the contents of your menu items?

If you build a simple set of menus from scratch in a fresh stack do you
see the same problem?

I've been unable to reproduce your circumstance, so while it doesn't
lead us closer to understanding the root cause it does suggest that it's
not only fully possible to what you want, it's also easy.  It took me
only a minute to hand-build a menu bar in a fresh stack to try to
reproduce your problem.

Hang in there.  As you say, you have a deadline. If you use what little
time you have productively this can be solved.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation