apostrophe display with text files and quicktime

Charles Silverman charlessilverman at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 24 08:24:19 EST 2005

Help!. I have an apostrophe/smart quote problem with the caption text
files that I generate through Rev.

I'm using Rev as the programming environment for an editor to caption
quicktime videos.

I've run into a problem with apostrophes turning into garbled text
when quicktime plays, much like the classic curly quote problem.

See the videos on http://www.dx.org/universal/workshops.htm#videos
for examples of the above. I haven't encountered the problem before
but suspect that this particular server is a Windows server.

I've been using the write to file command to generate the quicktime
text file. I'm assuming that if Rev somehow generated a text file
with the right kind of apostrophe type then quicktime would handle
things correctly.

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles