OT Last week's CarTalk puzzler

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Wed Nov 23 18:07:29 EST 2005

For those of you who find beauty in mathematics.

Below is this week's CarTalk puzzle. (A National Public Radio program
on cars and car repair, hence this beautiful puzzle in number
theory--don't ask.)

At first I didn't believe Ray theorem (below), so I used Run Rev to
at least confirm his hypothesis: All numbers with an odd number of
factors is a perfect square, i.e. the square of an integer, 1, 4, 9
16, etc. As an example: 16 has as factors, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16. There
are 5 factors, an odd number. This implies that the 16'th bulb will
be switch an odd number of times and therefore will be off if
initially on, and on if initially off.

Sure enough a little repeat loop shows that the theorem is true. To
prove it you may find the fundamental theorem of arithmetic helpful,
i.e. Every integer may be uniquely represented as a product of prime
numbers.

(20,000 is just an arbitrarily large number.)

Jim

PUZZLER: The Hall of 20,000 Ceiling Lights
There are 20,000 lights on. A person comes through and pulls the cord
on every second light. A third person comes along and pulls the cord
on every third light, etc. When someone comes who pulls every
20,000th chain, which lights are on?

Their solution(?):

The Hall of 20,000 Ceiling Lights
RAY: Let's number all the lights and pick one at random.

TOM: How about 26?

RAY: OK, let's look at light number 26 and figure out if it's going
to be on or off. All we need to know are the factors of the number
26. Well what's a factor? A factor is a whole number that will divide
evenly into another number, with nothing leftover.

So, the factors of 26 are 1, 26, 13 and 2.

Here's why that's important. It tells us that light number 26 is
going to get its chain pulled four times.

TOM: How did you figure that out?

RAY: Well, when every cord gets pulled it gets turned on, right?
Light number 26 gets its cord pulled again at 2, which is a factor of
26.

When every 13th chain gets pulled, light number 26 gets turned on
again. And it doesn't get touched again until 26, when it gets turned
off forever.

Now it's pretty obvious then that every bulb that has an even number
of factors will eventually get turned off for good.

So, which lamps remain on? All those represented by a number with an
odd number of factors. And those are, are you ready for this? Light
bulbs 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, etc.

All those numbers are called perfect squares. And only they have an
odd number of factors, because one of the factors is the square root
of the number in question. For example, nine has three factors, 1 and
9 and 3.  [I confess, I can't see how this follows. Jim]

Do we have a winner?

TOM: We do have a winner and the winner this week is Laurie Warner
from Greer, South Carolina. And for having her answer selected at
random from among all the correct answers that we got Laurie gets a
26 dollar gift certificate to the Shameless Commerce Division at Car
Talk.com, with which she can pick up our new best and second best of
Car Talk CD pack.