Object Orientation in arrays

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Nov 23 00:20:37 EST 2005

> Kay C Lan said

> Xavier pondered:
>
> The issues here is that either we have one big array with
> LOTs of keys or
> > different arrays to parse each (less keys, but more loops )...
> >
> > Any ideas on how to make big multidimensional arrays easier
> to handle?
> >

> I'm out of my league here but as a fairly 'basic' thinker I
> tend to go with what I know works best for any given problem.
> When anyone mentions multidimensional arrays I immediately
> think Perl. I know Rev can talk to Perl easily (on OSX, don't
> have a clue about the others). The data I've sent back and
> forth has been pretty small so I have no idea what the
> overhead may be.

perl is always accessible via shell on any os... But transfering data from
rev to perl will cost you. Programing in perl will cost you. And finding
bugs in perl is hell... Then there's the fact that no everyone has perl
installed...

> I offer this not so much as a solution but for comments as
> why I shouldn't do it this way. As a 'ex' user of 'repeat
> with x=1 to ....' I've appreciated the list comments about
> how much faster 'repeat for each...' is.

There's always a faster way. But shell access will slow things down... The
point was about internal management of lots of objects in an array (db like
but without a db)... Im sure Valentina is a good solution but it requires a
third party tool + added development which im not sure wouldn't be
superflous in this case.

The point is finding the right strategy to manage these array objects in
rev.
As usual the thread was diverted again out of context (thanks David for the
suggestions but...) The issue is not dealing with databases, it's with array
objects IN Rev and in Transcript... While I don't have 10 seconds wait to
access rev docs' parts, im sure the problem may be similar for revdocs
indexing and others in the future accessing parts of their arrays in the
quickest way...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo