Object Orientation in arrays

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 23:04:38 EST 2005

Xavier pondered:

The issues here is that either we have one big array with LOTs of keys or
> different arrays to parse each (less keys, but more loops )...
>
> Any ideas on how to make big multidimensional arrays easier to handle?

I'm out of my league here but as a fairly 'basic' thinker I tend to go with
what I know works best for any given problem. When anyone mentions
multidimensional arrays I immediately think Perl. I know Rev can talk to
Perl easily (on OSX, don't have a clue about the others). The data I've sent
back and forth has been pretty small so I have no idea what the overhead may
be.

I offer this not so much as a solution but for comments as why I shouldn't
do it this way. As a 'ex' user of 'repeat with x=1 to ....' I've appreciated
the list comments about how much faster 'repeat for each...' is.

Ruslan Zasukhin enlightened us:

We going add into Valentina very different features to support XML.

> One of them will allow you just store XML file AS IS.
>
> Then Valentina will do some magic on this XML file, so you will get much
> much more effective work with database of XML documents.

Let me see if I understand this right. If Rev loaded all their Help data
(which I understand is in XML format) into Valentina, then when I click on
Topics, then on the 'Custom Properties' chapter, instead of having to wait
over 10 seconds for the content to be built (without a busy cursor so I
imagine most newbies conclude 'no answer here, click on something else') it
would actually be built very quickly - maybe under a second.

If I understand that correctly, Rev and Valentina seriously need to look at
doing a deal. Talking of which, the current deal for a Valentina license key
when upgrading to Studio (or renewing) suddenly sounds like it's worth
investigating - even though this is still a 'feature of the future'. Still,
as a hobbiest, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth :-)