Spelling out the license - protesting too much

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 22:28:38 EST 2005

Mathewson wrote:

> > FREE software shouldn't need any licenses - Creative
> > Commons, GNU, Rampantly Oversexed Wrathog, or what ever.
> >
> > FREE means FREE.
> >
> > So those of us interested in producing FREE software should
> > get on and produce it; and include a nice little READ ME
> > document that says something rather like:
> >
> > "This is FREE, do with it what you like"

Such as do a simple Find & Replace: find = Mozilla, replace = "Intanett
Explora Plus", then change a couple of icons around and throw it onto the
net for $5. Let 'caveat emptor' prevail.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where that which is given freely
weren't used by the unscrupulous to sell to the unwitting.

And I'll give you that for free:-)