Object Orientation in arrays

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 22 07:49:31 EST 2005

On 11/22/05 2:08 PM, "David Bovill" <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:

Hi David,

>> BTW, i did try xml into an array, and the problem is still parsing  xml...
>> Parsing Arrays is much more efficient...
>
> Yes - would be a problem for large documents - but XUL and web
> services are not that large? For anything larger I guess the only
> choice is a database - Valentina comes to mind due to its clean
> object-relational mapping? Maybe Ruslan can give some pointers?

Do you talk about mapping of XML document into database ?

A lots issues here can be raised.

> However in general, as I am not strong in database design, I do not
> know how to structure such dbs with variable nesting - for these
> reasons I like to shift anything that complex to the domain of open
> source projects that have spent years tackling it and call them with
> web services?

Any nested level of XML can be simulated on self-recursive table.

Generally speaking any XML document can be stored into SINGLE self-recursive
table.

Also it is possible to use 2 tables for this, to make things little more
clean.

And of course it is possible use more than 2 tables to get more and more
specific entities.

---------
FYI, we have realize that Valentina with its Object-Relational model is
perfect for XML work. This have point one my friend, that is teacher in
university. He say that we must add into Valentina support of XQuery, DOM,
DAV, HTTP, ...

I have read many articles about Xquery already, and I start to love this
idea. SQL is language of Relational model.

Valentina 2 implements not only Relational model, but Navigational Model.
I'd say Extended Navigational model (because it can work with sets of
records).

It is well known, that Navigational model did not have language like SQL,
which can in text form express queries to REMOTE server. Now Valentina have
great gift -- Xquery standard is almost done. So we going join Xquery with
our Navigational model.

For those who wonder. Xquery for example, have ORDER of items:
        before, after

which do not support SQL. And this is nature of Navigational model.

Well, as I have told, a lots of issues can be discussed here.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology