Difference between Step over and Run

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Nov 22 00:01:18 EST 2005

Jim Hurley wrote:
>> I have noticed in the debugger that there is quite a difference in
>> time of execution between
>>
>>     Step over
>>
>> and
>>
>>     Run

I think this is because of the traceDelay. When you are debugging, every
step includes a pause equivalent to the traceDelay setting. When you
"run", the engine goes back to full speed.

<snip stuff>

> Moral: Even though the screen is locked by script, it is not locked when
> running the debugger, UNLESS you Run to the next line. And it will run
> though the window work much faster if you  unlock the window.
>
> Unless someone recognizes this as a known bug in the debugger, I will
> submit it.

I believe this behavior is intentional. The assumption is that during
debugging you always want to see what is happening. There have been
innumerable instances where I was happy it worked that way, because I
could see the screen change during debugging without altering my code
temporarily.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com