You Either Think Graphically or You Don't

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Nov 21 14:24:45 EST 2005

For me, primarily a writer who sees programming as an alternate form
of communication, the answer to the question "why program?" is the
same as the answer to the question "why write?" or "why paint?" It is
in the nature of human beings to create. Each of us has different
talents and interests and skills and capabilities and curiosities.
Each of us has different perceived needs in the realm of software to
deal with our day-to-day tasks.

Many of the Revolution apps I've built for myself and others could
have been done some other way. Perhaps a set of complex Excel macros
could have done the job. Or an off-the-shelf piece of software could
come close. But to get that perfect fit between a perceived need and
a solution requires a form of artistry that expresses itself in code
and UI design in much the same way a custom drawing depicts "just so"
a scene or person that could have been captured roughly  by some less
artistic and precise method.

WHy code? Coding is not for everyone. In fact, everyone I know who
codes would say there are many days when coding isn't enjoyable or at
least isn't their preferred activity. Just as many artist friends
will tell me that there are many days they'd rather e sailing or
walking the dog than painting or sculpting. But like art, software
design and development -- including the grunt work of coding -- gets
into your blood. It becomes part of who you see yourself as being.
You could no more quit coding than you could quit thinking because
very often you think in code. I look at any problem/opportunity in
the real world and my first instinct is, "How can I explain this
better?" (that's the writer in me) and my second instinct is, "What
kind of software could make that problem more tractable?" (that's the
coder in me).

Every year I receive hundreds of emails and correspondence from
people who seek advice about starting or continuing their writing
careers. I tell them all the same thing. "Don't write unless you
cannot not write." I'd say the same goes for coding. Many people who
say they love writing actually love having written; they like the
result, but not the process. Same is true for coding. Same, I
suspect, is true of artists.

My 2 Euros.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html