Help for total newbie making a dissertation application

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 21 09:17:54 EST 2005

Ben, Welcome to your Revolution!!!

> Here are the simplified objectives for a standalone application to
> be individually administered to research participants.
Mac and Windows and Linux???

> 1. I have a series of .mpg files ~ 60 sec in duration that I want
> my participants to view, with no input from them needed.
See 'Movie', 'Play', and 'Play Stopped'

> 2.  The participants will complete a series of different
> questionnaires that I will need to present in Revolution, and input
> their "yes-no" answers on the screen using a mouse.
See 'Radio' and create a group of Radio buttons and a text box and
set the radioBehavior of group to true - Only one can be selected.
Yes or No
Use this group for each question. Have the group have a unique name
to use in the next step.

> 3.  I want their answers to be stored for each individual so that I
> can place the answers in a statistical spreadsheet.  If I can get
> the answers to Excel, that will be all I need to get them where I
> need them, but the destination is a Windows stats package, SPSS.  I
> know what a database is, but have never worked with one.
You should have a sign in page at the beginning that is set to store
the user profile and then apply the answers from the question section
and compare against the 'right' answers if needed. If you build the
list you can certainly export that to open in another app. (Other
people can help with the DB stuff)

> I think my needs are simple, but there is a foundation needed that
> I simply don't yet have.  I am looking for similar applications
> that I might borrow from to make this project work, but I will
> cheerfully accept any suggestions or advice, to help me distinguish
> my ass from a teakettle in this new landscape.  I am still working
> thru the video tutorials that came with my Studio disk.
Go to the "User Spaces" section in the revOnline Viewer and look
through the stacks and download and explore. Take what you need. I do
all the time. Just to learn or see a better way to do something.

Good luck,

Tom