Identifying objects by their tooltips

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Mon Nov 21 08:13:25 EST 2005

So I am working on some EFL programs for very young
children and ended up with a lots of drag and drop images -
now I could spend lines and lines of code of the sort:

if the name of it is "COW.gif" then do TIDDLEY POM

identifying each image individually - tedious, memory
hungry and inefficient.

Now I may have reinvented the wheel - notwithstanding this
might be a happy trick to share with the 'basic educational
stack' crowd to which I proudly belong:

if you have a class of objects to be dragged and dropped
(or somesuch) set the tooltip of all of them to some
'invisible' text such as 3 spaces and then use the
following:

if the tooltip of it is "   " then do WHAT YOU FANCY

Now, my next problem is to turn off tooltips so that they
don't produce blocks of colour under my cursor!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html