You Either Think Graphically or You Don't

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 17:56:15 EST 2005

Greg Smith wrote:
> I really don't want to stir up a debate, but I feel lost in today's
> world of application creation.

It would be strange if you did not feel lost in it ;-) It's a very large
place.
But if you don't want to stir up a debate - why post :-) ?

> Why does everyone keep inventing new database software?

Either to persecute us, or possibly because they would like to be as
rich as Larry Ellison.

> Why don't more people use Revolution to develop modern style games?

Perhaps there are better tools for that.

> Why can't most artists learn to code?  Why don't most artists even want
> to try to learn to code?
>
> I'm an artist and an animator who wants to make his art "do something",
> but I loathe programming, what can I do, anyway?  Can Revolution help me?

Maybe but not overnight, not without effort, and not if you expect the
medium to behave as something other than itself.

> How come I can't think like a machine?
>

> Well, there it is.
>
> Greg Smith

Because machines don't think. ;-)

Maybe you would be interested in Michael Atavar's e-says
<http://www.e-says.com/>. They are mainly simple web-based text pieces,
some more successful than others. They are interesting and stimulating
to me because they use the medium of the web-page for what it is,
creatively exploiting its intrinsic virtue, without trying to make it be
like television or something it is not, which is what almost everybody
else seems to want to do. One piece of his, "DUOLC" was commissioned by
a .org that I was part of. <http://www.e-says.com/duolc/>
Michael's work seems simple, but I think Michael takes on technology and
wins by refusing to be overawed by it, using the parts of it that he can
relate to, and insisting that it serve his creative message.

Martin Baxter