Binary String to Enable Objects

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 19 10:51:40 EST 2005

Rob Cozens wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>> That's neat !  I would never have thought of using the IDs - I've
>> never set an ID to a specific value
>

> You can only set image ids: the ids of other controls cannot be changed.

But you can use the altID property for the same effect.

Object IDs and altIDs are checked in object layer order, like this:

1. Object #1 true ID
2. Object #2 altID
3. Object #3 true ID
4. Object #4 altID

This does require some care to work with, as it's possible to set the
altID of one object to the ID of another, so anything attempting to
reference the second object by ID will actually find the first object.

The range of numbers for altIDs goes up to 65535, and if you start with
a number well above the number of objects in your stack plus a few
thousand you should never have a conflict.

Built-in IDs start at 1001 and all objects are apparently incremented
from the same counter, so a new card will be 1002, a button added there
will be 1003, etc.

So if you know the sum of all objects will be fewer than 9000 (that
would be a hefty project), you could safely start your altIDs at 10000.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal