Living together BUT not married: RR/MC and Linux

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Nov 18 14:38:36 EST 2005

Richmond.....

On Nov 18, 2005, at 7:01 AM, Mathewson wrote:

> Maybe it is time for RR/MC to contain an in-built media
> player that 'travels with it' and standalones ? ? ?

I'm not at all sure I agree, even though the *outcome* you depict is
desirable.

There are standards for media. I'd rather have Rev support those
standards than roll its own built-in media player. Writing and
supporting such a player would seem to me to be a significant
undertaking and I have other, higher priorities in mind for what *I*
would like Rev to spend time and resources doing.

A quick search reveals there are multiple apps that allow you to use
Linux with QT. So is the real problem RR's support for QT or its less-
than-stellar support (to date) for Linux? IOW, I'd hate to see RR
spend resources building a media player if the real problem is that
they need to extend their QT support somehow to embrace Linux.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html