Calling webservices from RR

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Nov 18 13:37:49 EST 2005

Hi There folks,

welcome to the Revolution. As a matter of fact Rev can do
webservices, any webservices you want as long as you can code. It's
not as simply as some languages where you drop a WSDL file and all
the methods are added. There are libraries for SOAP and XML-RPC. The
SOAP library, I think its being redone at this moment, so the current
one is deprecated, since I hate Soap I don't keep following it. The
XML-RPC one (my choice for web services) work very fine. Before Rev
sported a official XML-RPC library, I was able to code my own XML-RPC
stack very easy. Revolution socket routines are very powerful, if you
understand the string manipulation ones and the XML ones, then you
can DIY anything that goes thru HTTP.

If you want to use server side libraries instead of client ones, you
must code your own, but they are easy to do, and if you also use
libCGI they are even easier to do.

You don't need altBrowser for that, but anyone working with Rev and
web will find a very nice friend in both altBrowser and altSQLite. As
it appears below, you're controlling both sides of the system, well,
if you're making the client and the server in Rev, and your app won't
need to interface with foreign clients then you can throw the
standards to the wind and create your own web services spec as it
suits you but keep in mind, both Soap and XML-RPC are just fancy XML,
it's very easy to use them in Rev.

Cheers
andre

PS: I'll try creating some demo stacks in the near future.