Problem with group script

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 18 12:27:27 EST 2005

Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on the script of a group.
> Every time I choose "Edit Group" I get the message
> "The object you are editing appears to have been removed or deleted..."
> with the option to copy the text or to close anyway.
> Fortunately the script isn't really gone, but it is awkward nevertheless (e.g. for copying names of buttons into the script).
> I also realized that when I edit a group there seems to be no way to edit the script (Object Script is greyed).
> Is this a regular behaviour?

Rev (and MetaCard before it) has to do some convolutions to edit groups.
To edit a group, Rev makes a sort of "fake card" and puts only the group
objects on it. The group itself is temporarily suspended and doesn't
exist quite the way it did before. Since the objects have been "moved"
to an editing area, the group isn't really there and there is no group
script. You have to leave editing mode to get the group object back in
order to work with the script.

MetaCard was marginally less opaque about this in its IDE. For example,
if you try to edit a card script while you are in group edit mode, MC
gives you an empty script editor with nothing in it except a commented
line that says something like "This is not really the card script! Your
changes will not be saved!" That's because the so-called "card" was a
temporary construct created exclusively for the purpose of editing group
objects. Once you leave group edit mode, the temporary "card" goes away
and your real ones come back.

Think of group editing as a brief excursion to another place, a
temporary editing arena that can only access the objects that are
contained within the group itself. To get back to your regular stack and
object hierarchy, leave edit mode.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com