The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Fri Nov 18 06:06:40 EST 2005

On 17 Nov 2005, at 00:52, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I have good confidence in the sanctity of my laptop, so I'm happy
> to use it, even over public wifi access, because all the traffic is
> ssh-secured end-to-end. But using a web cafe, or kiosk, public
> Internet access at a library, etc. all put me at risk; the
> encryption happens *after* the data is out of my control. I can't
> be sure there isn't a keylogger or similar there grabbing my password.
>
> [ I'm hoping someone will describe a secure way around this problem. ]

In my research I've only come across one reasonably good solution:

     1) HTTPS connection to web site.
     2) Open source Java applet with embedded minimal PGP
     3) Enter uid and password to regenerate your private and public
PGP keys on local machine
     4) Use PGP encryption for communication and / or secure
temporary local data storage.