mTropolis refugees

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 17 21:57:04 EST 2005

Janus Jakaterina wrote:
> Could a drag-and-drop interface be made; has anybody
> tried? Doesn't Revolution have a roll-your-own
> feeling with emphasis on scripting rather than
> connecting components?

Yes, compared to a drag-and-drop system Rev is much more akin to
traditional procedural programming.

But it's fast enough and flexible enough to build such a UI, if only
there were sufficient interest to warrant the effort (there's a Catch 22
here: mTropolis having died suggests the market lies elsewhere, yet had
mTropolis lived there would already be one and no need to build another
<g>).

I've long had an offer that if someone wants to pay my bills for a few
months I'd be happy to crank one out.  But getting a few extra months
free here will be difficult for quite a while --  I wonder if some of
the other readers here might be sufficiently intrigued to hack one out,
perhaps as an open source project?

Never enough IDEs for this capable engine, IMO. Always one more workflow
preference to cater to.   It sure would be fun to add RevTropolis to the
mix. :)

> With Revolution, well, I don't really know where to
> begin.

You might consider beginning here:
<http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/>

Those downloadable stack files were put together in a joint effort
between RunRev, Jacque Gay, and some of the most experienced scripters
in this community.  They cover a broad range of topics -- pick one that
sounds interesting, read the material, then another, and soon you'll
have a good foundation.

And of course, there's no substitute for hands-on playtime. Make a
stack, put some objects in it, add some scripts and see what happens....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal