open with on windows does not work with rev. Heeeeeelp :-)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 17 14:10:43 EST 2005

Bob Hartley wrote:
> I'm toying with linux anyway, since I'm fed up buying thingds like
> diskeeper, regmachanic etc etc etc etc just so the thing doesn't grind to a
> halt.

I'm posting in hopes that someone will tell me I'm wrong, but last time
I looked into the same issues on Linux I found a horribly disorganized mess.

The goals are simple enough:

- Associate a file type with an application, such that
   double-clicking a document of that type launches the app.

- Assign icons for the app and its documents.

- Place alias/shortcut entry in the Start menu (or equivalent
   common UI for launching apps).

By virtue of the plists in OS X bundles the first two are automatic on
OS X, and with resources it was automatic on Mac OS.

Windows handles those first two through the Registry, requiring explicit
effort from the developer but at least there's only one relatively
simple mechanism you need to worry about.

Then we come to Linux window managers:

Last I looked, each had their own special mechanism for this, each
requiring a different API, with no consistency from one window manager
to another.

I would be so glad to be wrong on this.

URLs to a universal spec for accomplishing this with things we can do in
Rev would be appreciated.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal