mTropolis refugees

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 07:59:05 EST 2005

Regarding mTropolis versus Revolution, I've used mTropolis for many projects.
Presently all the programs in our medical publishing company have been done
in mTropolis (www.medmaster.net).   Since the demise of mTropolis, I've looked
at other programs but have now gone to Revolution, which works on OS X, has
easy Internet connectivity, and has a far more advanced scripting language.
The concept of behaviors and aliasing is also a feature of Revolution, but it is
done differently, referring to premade scripts that may reside, for instance,
in the stack or card.   To me, the ideal program would be one with mTropolis'
interface, but with the power of Revolution's scripting.

One of the main problems with Revolution, which I understand is being
addressed now, is the still inadequate documentation for basic features of the
program.   mTropolis had a superb user manual. While Revolution has an excellent
online dictionary that explains the meaning and usage of the various scripting
terms, it still does not have an organized documentation of a number of basic
features of the program, such as the property inspector, which is heavily used
in the programming process.

I suspect that I might not be using Revolution at all if I did not already
have a significant background in Hypercard scripting, since it is so important
to have the proper documentation to get started. There is a need for the
beginner to have a good Getting Started manual, for both the scripting process and
understanding the basic features of the program.    The Revolution forum is a
fantastic source of information. There are many people who are right there
immediately trying to be of help, and have helped me considerably a number of
times.   I suspect, though, that there would be less need for questions addressed
to the forum if the documentation for Revolution were better.   The problem is
that in order to find something, the information appears scattered with no
central source for addressing many "How to do it" situations.  While there is a
user manual, it has no Index and the information is not well organized.   As
mentioned, I understand this is being addressed, and will be important for the
program to attract new users, particularly if they have no prior experience
with Hypercard, Metacard or related languages.   All-in-all, Revolution is a
very powerful program, easy to use in comparison with programs like C++ or Java,
and is the best I've been able to find since mTropolis, which is why I've made
the switch.
Steve Goldberg