The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Nov 16 22:10:14 EST 2005

On Nov 16, 2005, at 9:43 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I don't believe that a "Web-Photoshop" would need to satisfy the
> digital photography professional (mapping professionals aren't
> using Google Maps !). I think to get a commercially successful web-
> based photography editing app you need to satisfy 75% of the
> population - who start out with 3-6M-pixel photos compressed down
> to 1/2Mb JPEGs, not the pros using 32Mb RAW images,.

Is one implication that, in the brave new web-app world, professional-
grade applications -- because nobody but professionals will be using
them -- will get really, really expensive? Yes, many are now; but
many aren't. Jarhead was edited, as I understand it, by whatshisname
the great film editor using Final Cut Pro. Pro-level audio software,
though not cheap, is within reach for an amateur. Will that stop
being true? Don't like it.

Charles Hartman