Revolution and DLLs (was Re: DLL registering) [Long]

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Nov 15 12:17:18 EST 2005

On 11/15/05 11:07 AM, "Mark Wieder" <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Ken-
>
> Tuesday, November 15, 2005, 8:25:49 AM, you wrote:
>
> Awesome post.

Thanks!

>> 4) Since the VBS file only connects to a DLL and executes a function,
>> there's no way for Windows to know whether the function is bad or good, so
>> virus protection software won't intercept the attempt to call the DLL (so
>
> Mostly true. Depends on your virus checker and its settings. It's
> possible (and may be probable, if that's not an oxymoron) that
> antivirus software would warn about the execution of *any* vbs file.
> So the usual caveat about vbs and antivirus interaction still applies.
> Just something for the user to be aware of, not a stumbling block.

Good point - actually it would be good to start a list of antivirus software
that does this (either as a default behavior or as an optional one). Do you
know any off the top of your head that do this? (I've been a Symantec/Norton
user for a while and it only has a "Script Blocking" feature that seems to
intercept potentially malicious scripts (i.e. those that manipulate the file
system), and it doesn't mess with my DLL code.)

> The other related issue is that if this is installed on a user's
> system, the vbs file must be installed into a directory for which the
> user has the proper permissions to install and delete and run files.

Absolutely true - my code example puts things briefly on the C: drive itself
(which is *usually* available), but YMMV.

Thanks, Mark!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/