The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 02:12:38 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:56:02 +0000, Mark Smith <mark at maseurope.net>
wrote:

> I have to say, I'm a little baffled about what is being discussed
> here. Is it just the idea of apps (or applets in browsers) that
> interact with remote servers in real (ish) time? Dynamic HTML or XML
> generation?
>

> Obviously, we have these already, so what is it?

Phew! Someone else who is as bamboozled as I am. I had to look up
AJAX on Google just to get the idea at all, which shows that I live
in a poorer world informationally speaking than many members of this
list. I want to know, are we looking at a 'paradigm shift' or an
addition to the spectrum of possible app technologies or what? Where
does an app like Google Earth (of which frappr is said to be a
relation - but it works on Macs, yippee!) belong in this? Are there
any solid gold apps already existing which exemplify what Dan is
talking about, or is it all in the future?

 From the ranks of the puzzled

Graham