The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Erin D. Smale esmale at welshpiper.com
Thu Nov 10 15:28:43 EST 2005

Compensating for browser antics is probably where I spend a third of my
programming time. There are certainly several tried-and-true means by
which to ensure compatibility for particular modules in a so-called web
app, but as client requirements get more complex, these techniques are
proving less and less resilient to customer expectations. Of course, a
good many of these problems could be avoided if:

(1) Software companies would adhere to standards during the development
cycle
(2) Customers were given more realistic expectations of the limitations
inherent to the browser/web server relationship (Yes, you can manage
data; No, you cannot download the prescription you just ordered.)

IME, many clients (and not a few developers) still work under the
incomplete notion that Web=Internet. As a result, customers get to
believing that the Internet is useless without a web browser, and
developers get discouraged when a browser limits application
functionality. Like my father used to say, "You can't fit 10 pounds of
**** in a 5 pound bag."

While I do spend most of my "earning dollars" hours writing stuff with
PHP and javascript and MySQL, there are several client applications in
my recent past that I would have preferred to do "outside the browser."
Now that I have Rev, I can start doing so with what I believe is a
reasonable and cost-effective chance of success :-)

PS. On a positive note, using Rev to access data and resources on web
servers does give us the opportunity to adopt standards from the
beginning of an application's life cycle.

PPS. Great discussion--glad I joined the list!

-- Erin

Check out The Chimera RPG:
http://www.welshpiper.com