Rev and the Disappearing Desktop: A Focus Shift

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Nov 10 14:37:38 EST 2005

I sat down this morning to write a new email segueing off the topic
of whether the desktop is disappearing or not and focusing on the
question of how Rev could play in that space as it emerges. This
allows us to abstract out the discussion about whether I'm right or
wrong predicting the rapidly approaching ubiquity of AJAX and RIA
apps built around general- or special-purpose Web browsers (what I
called "thin clients" that, as Richard Gaskin pointed out, may not be
so thin after all). Instead, we can focus on where Rev might play a
key role in this new technique as it emerges.

And then Andre wrote:

> I think there's a market for AJAX Development Tools, many people
> want to start to code with AJAX but there's no nice friendly
> environment yet. Also could dashboard widgets qualify as AJAX?

Absolutely. I see two possible applications for Rev in the emerging
world of AJAX and RIA development.

First, there's what you suggest here, Andre: the creation of a tool
for building such apps. Now there's a very interesting paradox here
isn't there? Should such a tool exist as a standalone app? Or is that
so inherently self-contradictory that it's: (a) a bad idea; and (b)
an idea that would produce a product nobody would want to use? Good
questions, for sure.

Second, there's the idea -- on which you also touched -- of using Rev
to create the *server-side* technologies that wrapper and facilitate
the development and deployment of AJAX applications.

Third, there's a marriage of those two tool approaches.

I'm willing and eager to put some serious time and even a little
money on the table to facilitate this if we can assemble a small team
of people who want to explore it seriously.

Any interest?

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html