The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Nov 10 12:50:45 EST 2005

Andre.....

On Nov 10, 2005, at 8:47 AM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> desktop is cheaper and easier to deliver

Once again, your view is limited to what now is rather than to what
can and will emerge. Software is an ecosystem. Today, if you took
your blogging tool and made an AJAX version, you might well see
yourself being forced to create a massive and expensive network/
server infrastructure. But you might not. Mirrored sites, a mesh of
cooperative servers run by a third party supplier, rented space on a
large server farm with on-demand capacity...there are dozens of
possible solutions to the problem.

What I'm trying to do here is to get the Rev community to think
outside the desktop application box into which it fits so neatly
because it is my considered opinion, based on more than three decades
of experience in technology assessment and analysis, that the box is
rapidly disappearing. I don't want us to abandon Rev; I want us to
figure out new things we can do with Rev -- or get RunRev to add to
or change about Rev -- that will allow it to play a premier role in
the changing marketplace.

For a simple example: the best-of-breed AJAX developer's toolkit
could and perhaps should be written in Rev. Server-side Rev
componentry to support AJAX would be another great opportunity. There
are several such large gems lying on the ground waiting for someone
to pick them up and run with them. This stuff is in its infancy. An
evolutionary shift in infrastructure is needed. Before its adoption
by MS and Sun and other Big Players, that kind of change would have
been difficult if not unthinkable. Their entrance into the
marketplace makes it inevitable at the same time as it accelerates
the day of its ubiquity.

All of the arguments that have been advanced here to demonstrate why
I'm wrong are based on today's reality and even then I don't agree
with most of them because their viewpoint is necessarily limited to
the experience of the individual expressing them. But if we raise our
eyes up to the horizon and look at what can and may well happen to
facilitate this new wave in software, I think we can -- and I
certainly do -- conclude that there is not a single insurmountable
problem out there.

When I discovered Rev and then quickly discovered how minuscule its
audience was, I was discouraged at the same time I was encouraged. I
was discouraged because I feared Rev would go the way of so many
other great technologies whose companies couldn't sustain them
through slow-growth periods. I no longer worry much about that. I was
encouraged because if only a small number of people "get" Rev, my
competitive landscape is uncluttered and accessible. The same is true
for AJAX except there's no need for a single company to be involved
in any meaningful way. So if most of you on this list disagree with
me and go on your merry way, that just means fewer competitors for
those of us who do jump on the AJAX bandwagon while it is still
moving slowly enough for us to stake out positions on its top level.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com