The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 10 01:19:27 EST 2005

MisterX wrote:

> Andre,
>
> you are very right but a dreamcard application can be just as
> unsafe or malignous as any spyware or trojan. Ajax is supposed
> to be safe and im sure many industry standards will evolve to
> support that. It has been a requirement for Java, javascript,
> I don't see it stopping there.

All one needs to do is add a certificate capability to a RR plugin (or
helper app more likely) and you've reinvented ActiveX. Because, Xavier,
it turns out you really do need to go 'outside the sandbox' to develop
full and robust applications. Can you see Photoshop as an AJAX app? So
the current sandbox limited versions of Java and Javascript just can't
do it. If so, then why haven't we seen even one commercial mainstream
app developed with Java?

> For example, the RevOnline stack. It's parts are not parts. The
> content can be changed but not the tools. It would be cool if
> the next time you clicked on news or users, you would get a
> newer and more capable/efficient gui each time...  I think that
> the edge of Ajax is there... Not that it's not possible in rev
> but until we work on it, it's not going to get far anytime soon.

All of our apps have used our own MagicCarpet Auto-updating Architecture
which can easily change the GUI at any time.

> Im sure there's lots to be said in the subject... The question is
> not how to make a better web service but rather when is a web
> service or application better than a desktop application or service?

Well said.