The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Nov 9 18:38:05 EST 2005

I almost labeled this post off-topic since our purpose here is to
discuss how to use Revolution. But I decided on balance that it
affects everyone here, so I left off the [OT].

I've just posted a blog entry at http://www.eclecticity.com/.3c66aaec
that I believe should be of interest to everyone who is in the
programming universe today. I've been leaning in this direction for
years, drawn strongly to it for the past few months, and have now
tipped over the edge. Some will think I'm over the edge, alright, but
perhaps not in the way I intended.

My prediction -- based on a lot of evidence and clinched by two
leaked Microsoft memos that you really need to read (they're
indirectly linked in my blog entry) -- is that the days of the
desktop app are indeed finally numbered. At best, we will see
desktops reduced to being containers for ultra-thin clients and
specialized Internet browsing tools while *everything else* runs as a
(probably ad-supported) Web service.

Yeah, I know. You've heard this before. And there's a lot of
skepticism here and elsewhere on the Net. But Ray Ozzie's no idiot
and Microsoft's not ignorant or stupid (whatever else they may well be).

Comments welcome, though I'd appreciate it if you'd register for my
blog (it's free) and post them there even if you choose to echo them
here. This issue is much bigger than Rev but it affects everyone on
this list, IMNSHO.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com