Repeat for each

Marty Knapp martyknapp at comcast.net
Wed Nov 9 10:51:08 EST 2005

>>> filter theData with "*" & tab & "*word*" & tab & "*" & \
>>>      tab & "*" & tab & "*" & tab & "*" & tab & "*" & tab & "*"

I've been tinkering with this a bit and wanted to ask a few more
questions. Again, my data set is 8 items with all but one being a
number. I need to be able to select a subset by analysing 1 or more of
these items. My current data set is approx 128,000 records. When I
filter the data on the item that contains words, it's pretty fast -
about 1 second (I have an old Mac G4-single processor 867mgz, and
running Rev 2.2.1) The speed is exactly the same whether I use the above
method or just 'filter theData with "*word*"'

When I use the 'repeat for each' to evaluate for 'word' it takes 1.5
minutes. Where it really gets slow is evaluating the numbers. Most often
what I need is a range of numbers, so would use greater than, less than,
or both. Typically I would evaluate 2 of the numbers, but need to be
able to evaluate all 8 items if needed. The numbers range from 0 to 8
digits, some whole numbers some fractional. I just did a test evaluating
one number and it took 3.5 minutes. When I evaluated 2 numbers it took
5.8 minutes.

Do these numbers sound right? Or am I being a bozo somehow! I've been
thinking that I should consider using either Valentina or altSQLite. Any
input there? Is one more suited, easier or ???

Thanks again - you all are very helpful folks.

Marty Knapp