Load URL returns error 10049

Erin D. Smale esmale at welshpiper.com
Tue Nov 8 08:50:56 EST 2005

Hi Dave,

Based on the Winsock error, it may be that his local host file is
defining an address that conflicts with the address in your app, or that
resolves to an address that conflicts with his internal network
(unlikely but possible).

As a test, have the user open IE and type in the URL directly. If he
gets the same error, I would check his host file ot see what names are
being resolved to what addresses. Also, you might want to have him open
up a command prompt and use 'ping -a <your URL>' to see what address
your URL it resolves to--if the host file is "interfering," the address
may not resolve to the actual URL.

It would be helpful to know how he's getting his own IP, too (e.g., is
it static or assigned via DHCP). Also try to determine what his default
gateway is (especially if he's on an internal network behind a firewall).

As a temporary workaround, have him try to access the URL through the IP
address; this skips DNS or host file name resolution and may offer a
clue as to what's going on. Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

-- Erin

Check out The Chimera RPG:
http://www.welshpiper.com