Fonts and Revolution

Garrett R. Hylltun garretthylltun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:22:17 EST 2005

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:35:33 -0600
Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/05 6:07 PM, "Garrett R. Hylltun" <garretthylltun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > What's the deal on the fonts that we can use in our programs;
> >
> >   are we limited to what's in the text formatting list?
> >   can we add our own fonts?
> >     - If yes, how and what font format?
> >   antialias support?
>
> Basically we are limited to whatever fonts are currently installed on the
> machine that is running our programs, since Revolution does not (at this
> time) support font embedding... this means that if you want to have a
> specific font in use in your program, you will need to confirm that the user
> has it installed (check 'the fontnames' property), or install it yourself
> (assuming that it is OK for you to do so) as part of your overall
> installation process.

Maybe a bug or not, most of the fonts I have installed are not showing up in Rev, and the fonts that show in Rev, some I don't even have installed on my system.

> As to antialiasing, Revolution doesn't do anything about this - the OSes
> themselves implement font smoothing at certain point sizes or larger, and
> this is reflected in Rev as much as in Word...

I may have a bug that is or isn't related to Rev then.  Antialiasing works fine on my system (Ubuntu Linux 5.10 with Gnome 2.12.1) with every program I have run on it, with the exception of programs that run in their own VM such as XBasic.

Should I submit these issues to Runtime?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:00:35 -0500
simplsol at aol.com wrote:

> Garrett,
> Also remember that all fonts are not available on all platforms. For
> example, you could do your layout on a Mac with Geneva, but this
> typeface is Mac only. You may also find that some typefaces that are

Do Mac OS and OSX have TTF support?

[snip]
> Also, if you are using non-proportional fonts, let us know there are
> some issues there as well.
> Paul Looney

What are the issues related to non-proportional fonts?

Thanks,
-Garrett