OT Auto run CDs on the PC

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sat Nov 5 14:24:31 EST 2005

Hi,

Just wondering if folks had an opinion about auto running multimedia
applications on CD-ROMS on windows. It was the rage in the hay days of
CD-ROMs, but then seemed to peter out. We still get feedback from PC
users that they cant figure out how to find the cd and the application
on a cd when inserted on a windows machine. in the past we have done
printed blow-in instructions with the cd on how to go to my computer to
pull up the cd.

The auto run is obnoxious in my opinion. the popup window on xp allows
you to open the cd in windows explorer, but its a confusing list for
the non computer savvy. the other rub is there are other files like the
read me and lesson plans on the cdrom that the user might want to get
at and with auto run they have to quit the app to do that.

I guess i could have the app startup with autorun with a dialog with a
selection of running the app or view the other files on the cd

Is there an easy way to open a folder in windows explorer?

This is a little kids cdrom application that goes with a story book.

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds