yet another really simple question

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Fri Nov 4 14:30:19 EST 2005

I should know this, but I can't locate talk I think I've heard about it:

I've got a (sub)stack with a couple of buttons and a scrolling, list-
behavior field that covers most of the card. I want command-key
alternatives to pressing the buttons. I put handlers in the stack
script for the commandKeyDown, returnKey, and escapeKey messages, and
they work fine -- as long as the focus is outside the list field. So
in the list field's script I put handlers for returnInField,
escapeKey, and rawKeyDown with an "if" test for "commandKey is down".
Those work fine too. But this seems silly; I'm duplicating code.

Is there a property I should be setting to make the field not grab
(for example) the cmd-A  to "select all" lines in the field, or the
return key and swallowing it? While still letting arrow keys and
mouse-clicks select a line? Or is there another simple way to
consolidate this? I'm sure there is, but I can't seem to find it . . .

Charles Hartman