Controlling External Devices

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Nov 4 14:24:48 EST 2005

On quick glance, I don't think hooking up REV to this thing would be that hard.

Looking at this company's broad offerings for OSX and 9, and the fact
that they've created software hooks for almost every other
programming platform (including HC on OS 9) - They seem open and
flexible.

I think that if someone had a project in REV that could use their
product that they would be pleased as hell and would probably bend
over backwards to help develop the needed externals to use with REV.
Then they could add REV to their list of supported. I have a feeling
the application-specific code is quite small; this is what is
installed on the host machine with their installer:

The installation program "SERVICE USB.pkg" installs the driver, which
consists of the following components:

  /Library/Frameworks/Service USB Driver.framework Contains
Frameworks, which contains all control applications for SERVICE USB.

/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SERVICE USB.osax Contains the AppleScript support.

/Library/Receipts/SERVICE USB.pkg Contains the installation program.
The "Receipts" folder gives an overview of the enhancements that have
already been installed on the computer.

/Library/StartupItems/SERVICE_USB_FirmwareLoader Ensures that a
background process (Daemon) begins, which loads the firmware into the
interface if necessary.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o