Controlling External Devices

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Fri Nov 4 09:54:27 EST 2005

I too have used the amx system in large installations. not cheap and
the amx coding is another world to deal with. usually the amx did the
specific control tasks and the rev app is the master controller/user
interface communicating via a serial connection. Troy is right, the AMX
system does great down and dirty control of many devices (mainly av and
lighting controllers) so letting it do that work is great and just have
rev do the master user control where you might want a fancier interface
and control system than the amx system easily affords (you can do very
sophisticates stuff with the amx interface, but it comes at a cost and
is really directed at av control.) if you go the amx route and
depending on how much you want to do the amx side it might be
worthwhile to hire an amx consultant. I started to get into it, but
realized that it wasn't worth my time to totally learn if i wasn't
going to use it much and the amx programmer was an ace and knowing all
the little gotchas in the amx systems which are always evolving.

I do remember an inexpensive I/O system that was serial and usb that
did both data acquisition and also switch closure and i think
controlling voltages outputs. I thought it had the name bee or hive in
it, but nothing came up on a quick google search.

what do you need to set on your mechanical control? relays, step motor
controls? if you can find an I/O system that will control the things
you want and it has a serial interface then rev does wonderfully
sending/receiving serial signals to things like this and being the
master controller/interface.

if you end up needing to control several serial devices, black box has
a great serial switcher which allows you to route your single rev
serial out to any number of serial ports with the addition of a simple
port number flag to each serial command which is stripped off by the
switcher and sent onto the proper port. works like a charm.

cheers,

jeff

On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:23 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com