[Slightly OT?] Why It's Hard to Explain Rev

Erin D. Smale esmale at welshpiper.com
Fri Nov 4 09:16:55 EST 2005

TJ Frame wrote:

> That generally gets people up to speed with the understanding that Rev is
>not a flavor of Java, C++, Visual Basic etc. which a lot of people seem to
>imediately assume.

As someone new to Rev, I can say that:

(1) When I read on the Rev website that it was unlike Java, C++, or VB,
my interest in Revolution increased about tenfold--from an ease of use
standpoint, this is an appealing draw. I've used those languages with
mixed success--given enough time one can always make them do what you
want, but who has enough time?

(2) My next concern was power and ability; a look at the command and
function list made it clear that Rev could handle pretty much anything I
would need it to do. In Dan's book, this was brought home when he wrote
(I'm paraphrasing) that Rev works for about 99% of the applications he
writes and that he probably wouldn't use Rev to monitor nuclear reactor
temperature in real time, but then again, he wouldn't use C++, Java, or
VB either.

(3) The real benefit I see in Rev is its Property Inspector and use of
Transcript. Property Inspector reminds me of the Properties panel in VB,
which made it very easy to control appearance, behaviour, positioning,
format, etc. Transcript (and I hope the MAC folks will forgive me on
this) reminds me of REXX, which I think was a great innovation in
'normal language' programming. When I did the tutorial on the ask/put
commands, it was REXX all over, which is good.

My description of Rev is an RAD tool that lets you construct a GUI as
easy as with VB, make it functional with normal language code, and work
with all the files, databases, and I/O devices you'd expect it to. Oh,
it lets you compile for Windows, MAC, and 'NIX, as well.

Now I just got myself all excited to program... :)

Cheers,
-Erin