checking removable drives

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 3 17:29:08 EST 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> And if we do ignore that for portable apps, assuming we'd like to ship a
> single app for both portable and installed use, how can we know we're
> running installed so that we could write the file association entry to
> the registry as customers would expect for a hard-drive-installed app?

And we're back to the original question :-)
"I'd like to be able to determine if an app is running from a removable
drive."

Of course, Windows users are IMO more likely to launch the app first,
then the doc. I believe this is because you never know which app will
hijack your file association? Quicktime today or Win MediaPlayer
tomorrow? What version of Pshop will end up winning over TGA files? It's
all much more confusing on PC's.

-Chipp