checking removable drives

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 3 17:05:47 EST 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> The only downside to self-contained apps is that there's no file-type
>> association present in the host system's registry, so documents must
>> be opened from within the app rather than double-clicked.  But this
>> factor is independent of any method used to determine what type of
>> drive it's one; it's just an inherent part of being a portable app.
>

> With ButtonGadget having to 'register' it's filetype, I'm aware of this
> issue on the PC.
>
> Here's how I've worked around it. Everytime BG launches, it checks the
> registry to make sure it's registered correctly (filepaths, filetypes,
> icons, etc..).
>
> I do this on every launch instead of during installation and it takes
> only a second. Not sure how this works on Macs.

It's automatic on Macs, just part of what the Finder does when it
encounters an app on any mounted volume.

With Rev's ability to read and write the Windows directory, it would be
simple enough to make the registry entries for the file type
association.  But for true portability this should not happen when
running from a removable drive, the goal being zero-footprint when the
drive is removed.

That's the one weak link in the proposed solution:  if we're installed
on the hard drive and can write to our app's own folder, how can we know
whether we should write a registry entry?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal