I guess I stumped everyone. :(

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:15:29 EST 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 1:51 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Basically here's how this works - all the ___stack and ___card
> messages
> (preOpenStack, openCard, etc.) are sent to the card, and then
> travel through
> the hierarchy to the stack. If the stack is a substack, it then
> travels to

For a beginner (someday I'll stop being a beginner), that's where the
problem starts. I have this message called preOpenStack, which I can
use to set up my stack, and it's handled in the script for the . . .
card? Yes, I see why; but it is not intuitive.

Thanks for your very lucid explanation of "owner" and "target" and
"me". It turns out that my problem was this: during development I
have an "initialize" button on the one card of my main stack (so as
to set up or reset the underlying database), and the button's script
says
		send "preOpenStack" to this stack
If my preOpenStack handler begins with "if the owner of the target is
me" then I get an execution error (because of passing that message
into the stratosphere) when I press the "initialize" button; but it
works fine when I'm really opening the stack. Alternatively, the line
"if the target is me" works with the button, but does nothing if I'm
really opening the stack. All that makes sense I think. I can't think
how to write that line for both contexts -- suggestions?

Charles Hartman